A Likely Story. Thank you! My mission, should I wish to accept it, is to list 7 things about myself (might be difficult) and pass the award on. What a great way to find out about some of the interesting blogs around.
So here goes – you can skip this bit if you wish!
1. I was idealistic enough to think it might be romantic to become a nurse when I left school, and to work overseas when qualified. That lasted for one and a half years of the 3 year training until I realised I detested hospitals! And it was not romantic.
2. My husband and I met over the telephone when we both worked for the same travel company, but in different offices at first. We finally met now and then at the main office, but it took him a few months to risk asking me out (while I waited patiently).
3. My favourite classical music is from the Baroque period, especially Bach.
4. I love to dance! Have tried belly dancing, salsa and now do tap. Would like to drag the husband to tango next. But as soon as I hear rhythmic music anywhere, I want to dance, though it’s not always possible (not that much of an exhibitionist, yet).
5. My first short story was bought many years ago by the late Ian Somerville at My Weekly, after he awarded me first prize for it in the Women’s Short Story Competition at the Scottish Association of Writers conference. I still attend the annual SAW and have now adjudicated at it myself! How things change.
6. Since I didn’t go to university after school (because of going into nursing), some years ago I studied through the Open University as a mature student, which I thoroughly recommend. Came out the other end with a BA (Hons) and went on to do a Masters. Most life-enhancing thing I ever did. I love literature and history.
7. Although the first novel is coming out in May (after years of faffing around with too many different writing projects), I’m still trying to find a publisher for a woman’s contemporary (with historical sections), and two children’s novels. But I still write short stories and articles, and even get some of them accepted. Guess I’ll never settle to one type of writing.
Please visit the following nominated blogs if you can spare the time (they’re a lovely mixed bunch!):
Through the Looking Glass
Living, Writing and Other Stuff
May Contain Nuts
A Blond Bengali Wife