Monday 10 October 2011

Behind the Scenes Novel Spot

Way back when, the Champagne Books authors were given the opportunity to apply to be a featured writer on the Behind the Scenes Novel Spot. Although my first novel was just coming out, I reckoned October was far away and duly applied.

Well, from today, I'm the featured author all this week! This is a novel idea (excuse the pun) as I had to write an autobiographical piece to be spread over 7 days - kind of showing the writer and the influences behind the writing, as it were. It was fun to compose, although when I begin to read it over this week I'll probably wish I'd mentioned this, or left out that!

Online writing can seem a bit removed from real life sometimes, until we realise people might actually read it - a bit like any kind of writing really. And isn't that why most of us write and send work out in the first place, even though it's a scary thought sometimes. But it's fun to think about some of the influences through our lives that shape us today.

And if anyone wants to read my 7-day ramblings, they start today on Behind the Scenes!

Rosemary

13 comments:

joanne fox said...

Just been reading about your grandad - he sounds lovely!

Janice said...

This sounds great - popping over there right now!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Joanne - sometimes we only really appreciate in hindsight those who influence us most.

Thanks, Janice!

Frances Garrood said...

Will do, Rosemary!

Patsy said...

It can be quite surprising to discover what lurks in our memories ready to inspire a story.

Diane Fordham said...

How exciting! Going over there now for a sticky beak. Good on you.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Frances!

You're absolutely right, Patsy!

Thanks, Diane!

Joanna said...

Thank you, Rosemary. I think your childhood sounds lovely. I always wanted lots of brothers and sisters and envied friends from larger families. Your grandfather comes across as a very sweet man and it sounds as if he coped well with his blindness.
And how wonderful to live by mountains.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thank you for your lovely comment, Joanna. I guess we always want the kind of family we don't have!

Joan Fleming said...

I'm enjoying your daily revelations, Rosemary. It's so interesting to trace the influences of your childhood and schooldays on your writing today.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks for that, Joan - it's been interesting thinking back and deciding what to leave out!

Vikki said...

Really enjoying reading this!I could only access up to day 5 for some reasonx

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Did you learn anything new about me, Vikki!