Thursday 29 March 2012

An Inspiring Interlude


Last weekend, we couldn't be bothered driving far for our usual walk by the coast so husband and I donned our practical footwear and headed off on foot to the local estate and woods just outside our village. We used to take the children there a lot at one time, as it's a wonderful natural adventure playground with lots of hidden paths and even a kind of assault course deep inside the woods. And at this time of year, the daffodils still provided a splash of gold to brighten up the various shades of green and brown.

It's a long walk from the entrance, some of which is gradually uphill, but what an inspiring morning out. Apart from the odd family car passing us by, the peace and tranquility enveloped us as we wandered past ancient trees and enjoyed the sunshine and bird song. We also like to chat while out for a walk, away from computers, emails and online work, taking the chance to catch up on each other's hopes and dreams for what we hope to achieve this year, or where we want to go together.


Then we came to one of my favourite views. From the little bridge, you can see part of the old Victorian kitchens at the head of the stream, and this time the colourful plants in the foreground only added to the beauty. I could stand there for ages just drinking in the scene, and allowing my creative mind to start weaving the beginning of a story or poem. The other hobby I enjoy is capturing the images and scenes on camera.


We only had a glimpse of the graceful large house at the top of the estate, and we bypassed the little shop and cafe and car park, preferring to keep to the solitude of being the only people walking the whole way that morning. As well as the exercise and fresh spring air, we both came back in a more reflective and inspired state of mind. As far as interludes go, it's one we're going to have to repeat!

Rosemary

17 comments:

The Pocketeers said...

Lovely photos Rosemary and a thoughtful blog. My husband and I went out last night at dusk and waited till dark to watch the stars come out. We have a new app on our phone which you can use to point out the constellations. I now know what Mars looks like - slightly pink, lovely. The best thing though was the smell of greeness and the damp nightfall earth wotj the quietness of the night. There was something very 'elemental' about being out in the dark in a wide open space. We both felt totally refreshed and invigorated afterwards. All the best, Cara Cooper

Teresa Ashby said...

What beautiful photos - I too would love to just stand and drink it all in. I particularly love the one of the Victorian kitchens. It certainly does inspire and must do so even more in real life - lovely x

Anne Gallagher said...

What a great place. Reminds me of my fictional estate Fairhaven in my book.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Hi Cara - what a lovely comment, thank you. I know just what you mean. I happened to go out to the patio the other evening to collect something and I stood overawed at the sight of the sliver of crescent moon with one very bright star just above it - in one of the clearest dark skies I've seen here.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks a lot, Teresa! Sometimes we just need to stand and be, don't we? Or remember to admire the beauty around us.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Hi Anne - thank you. How nice it reminds you of your fictional estate!

Joanna said...

How beautiful, Rosemary. This is a gorgeous post. You make me feel as if I were there.

That was a truly inspiring and wonderful outing. It does us all good, I think, to go out and just absorb the glory, the colours, the scents and the magic. It makes me want to go out this weekend, which we haven't done for ages, and soak it all up. Many thanks. x

Joan Fleming said...

Lovely reflection, Rosemary. Your photos will help you to relive the experience. The weather conditions here in Scotland at the moment are giving us opportunities to enjoy nature at its best.

Carolb said...

Lovely photos, Rosemary. It's so good to see the flowers and vibrant greenery, so thank you for sharing your walk with us.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks for your lovely comment, Joanna. I do hope you manage to have a nice walk or similar at the weekend!

Hi Joan - yes, I think it makes us want to soak up as much brightness as possible!

Thanks, Carol - we have to take the chance here when we can get it!

Patsy said...

Lovely pictures - what a great place for a walk and a chat.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Patsy!

Diane Fordham said...

What a lovely post Rosemary. This has really got me thinking about 'smelling the flowers' so to speak. I've been too much of a homebody lately and really need to get up off my butt and get out there. Inspiring. Thank you xx

Talli Roland said...

Glorious, Rosemary. Siiiigghhhh...

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks for that lovely comment, Diane - I always feel inspired by different surroundings!

Thanks for visiting, Talli!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What beautiful scenery.

I especially love the middle picture. I'm sure I could stand and enjoy that scene for hours.

Vikki said...

Brings back good childhood memories! Your photos are lovely x