Monday 18 August 2014

Time for Reflection

I love visiting favourite places on the spur of the moment, especially when in a reflective mood rather than work mode! So I was delighted to revisit the wonderful Pollok House in its country park on the outskirts of Glasgow this weekend. The Georgian house itself never fails to impress me, no matter how many times I see it while the grounds and gardens are ideal for a walk in pleasant surroundings.


Although it's now partly looked after by the National Trust, from October until April it belongs to the people of Glasgow and is free to explore during this period. It's a lovely idea as the house is worth seeing more than once. You can take a leisurely walk around the inside by yourself to view the graceful furnishings and wonderful art collection, or let one of the friendly guides explain its fascinating history.

On this occasion, we only went down to the former servants' quarters in the lower floor for coffee and cake in the cafĂ© housed in the old kitchens with its copper pans still on display. A couple of small shops are now in other former work rooms. On one occasion, the cook's tools were nicely laid out as though for imminent use!



As well as being inspiring, the whole country surroundings of the house are so good for a reflective type of walk and I came home refreshed in every way. Let's hope such a lovely historical setting continues to inspire my writing again.

Rosemary  

10 comments:

Julia Thorley said...

I love a spur-of-the-moment trip. I've never been to Glasgow, but this looks like a great place to visit.

Becca McCallum said...

One of my friends now manages it for the NTS! I only went to see it for the first term earlier this year. Such a lovely old building, and fantastic grounds.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Glasgow is full of lovely architecture and interesting places to visit, Julia - this is one of my favourites outside of town!

Oh, how wonderful, Becca. I'd love to be a volunteer guide if I lived a little bit nearer!

Rena George said...

Sounds like a wonderful day, Rosemary. I've always wanted to visit the lovely Pollok House and country park. Wasn't that part of the cycling events during the recent Commonwealth Games?

Rosemary Gemmell said...

It really is worth a visit, Rena! I'm not sure if they went that way but it's definitely possible.

Teresa Ashby said...

What a beautiful place, Rosemary. Those gardens look so pretty too x

Wendy's Writing said...

My mum and I love going round NT properties and gardens. We recently visited Scotney castle - such a romantic place.

Joanna said...

It looks beautiful, Rosemary. What a lovely day out. x

Jean Bull said...

I fabulous place to visit on the spur of the moment. I must make time for a trip to Scotland in the future!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Teresa!

Haven't heard of that one, Wendy!

It was indeed, Joanna!

You must try and come up north sometime, Jean!