Monday 24 July 2017

Writing on Trains

I've mentioned more than once on here how much I enjoy writing with pen and paper while out and about, usually while enjoying a coffee and cake in one cafe or another. I also love writing on trains which is fortunate as I now have a forty minute journey each way when I want to meet friends in Glasgow.

With a couple of recent Afternoon Tea outings for friends' birthdays and exploring different places to lunch with another close friend, I've been in the city roughly once a week since we moved. It's a great way for me to get on with the current novella I'm trying to finish. Somehow, the words flow better with pen and paper, or because I'm away from the desk.

The only problem now, is actually getting it typed onto the computer! I was supposed to be doing that this morning and have sorted out so many other things that it's now almost lunch time. However, at least the words are written down and I'm pretty sure it must be close to a thousand in my notebook - at least I'm hoping it's that far on. It's also a good way to do a first edit while typing the handwritten version.


We had a lovely walk in the drizzly rain at Cramond yesterday and it was all the more atmospheric for the dull day, as well as being quieter. Also discovered there is a cosy little village inn which looked most appealing - we'll time it better so we can have lunch there next time!

Rosemary

9 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

I tend to write in short bursts, so 40 minutes sounds ideal! Good luck with the novella, Rosemary.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

That's probably why I like it too, Frances! Thanks for the comment.

Julia Thorley said...

I enjoy the process of transcribing handwritten notes into tidy typescript. It must be the editor in me.

Joanna said...

It's wonderful how much tighter the writing becomes when transcribed. I don't write on paper as much as I used to, but I always liked the way it seemed to come together as I typed it up. Good luck with the novella, Rosemary. it sounds as if it's coming on very well xxx

Wendy's Writing said...

I absolutely cannot write longhand. I'd never be able to read it back! Everything goes straight onto the computer.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

It's a good way of editing, Julia!

Thank you, Joanna- getting there slowly!

When at home, I write straight to the computer, Wendy, but seem to get further on with paper and pen!

Teresa Ashby said...

Writing on the train to Glasgow sounds lovely. I'd be looking out of the window at the scenery though (I am far too easily distracted) :-)

Carolb said...

The important thing is getting the words down in the first place Rosemary, so if it works that's good.

If I try writing long-hand my writing starts to get less decipherable the longer I keep going... :D

Rae Cowie said...

I love writing on trains too, Rosemary but don't have the opportunity that often. However, I struggle to write fiction in longhand. I'm a very heavy writer and find that my writing is too slow. Also I love being able to edit as i go - much easier on my laptop. Hope that Novella gets typed up (and published) soon! : )