Friday 13 April 2018

Finding a 'Lost' Mary Stewart Book

Like many other modern romance writers, I adored the romantic suspense novels of Mary Stewart. I no sooner finished one than I was desperate to read the next. As well as being mysteries set in interesting locations, the titles always grabbed my attention: Airs Above the Ground, Nine Coaches Waiting, Wildfire at Midnight, The Gabriel Hounds, to name a few.



I was therefore delighted to discover by accident what is seemingly one of Stewart's 'lost' books while browsing in my favourite independent bookshop. The Wind off the Small Isles is a small, very short book and the story is set on the island of Lanzarote. Apart from being written by one of my all-time favourite authors, the hard cover is so pretty I would have bought it anyway!


I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering if an author has stood the test of time and I was a little apprehensive about reading this, especially since it's little more than a fairly short novella. However, I didn't put it off for long and as soon as I started reading it, I was strangely transported back to my late teenage years when this type of book was my most relaxing escape from everyday life.

Yes, it's a bit too short which gives it less depth and makes the hint of romance less believable, but the author still had the power to take me to another place and involve me in the characters' lives for a couple of days. Moreover, she also managed to add in a little mystery and danger that is such a feature of her novels. I think this is a little book I'll treasure as a special, unexpected treat.

Did you read Mary Stewart?

Rosemary

17 comments:

Patsy said...

That is a lovely cover!

No, I've not read any Mary Stewart books, I don't think – though I used to be very bad at remembering author names and book titles.

Vonnie said...

Read them all - got them all!

Kate Blackadder said...

Yes, love them. My favourite is Airs Above the Ground. Hard to replicate now, when foreign travel is so much more part of life than in the 40s/50s and modern communications mean you can hardly ever be very isolated.

Joan Fleming said...

No, Rosemary, I've not read her books. Knowing your enthusiasm, I started one, but wasn't gripped. I suspect it's an age thing (see Kate's point). Perhaps I simply missed the boat?

Maybe I should have another go I hate to think I'm missing out. Have you a recommendation for a late starter?

Karen said...

This is fascinating, Rosemary, I was a HUGE fan of her books, but have never heard of this novella! I would love to reread her novels (have recently bought a couple as I didn't keep the originals) but do worry they might be dated and I don't want to spoil the memories :-)

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Isn't it, Patsy! Must say I read most of them in my youth and haven't revisited them yet, apart from this 'found' one.

I have too, Vonnie, though I had to get rid of my very battered ones!

I loved that too, Kate, and was even thinking about it when in Vienna a few years ago. You're absolutely right about the difference modern life makes - I'd hardly been out of the country when I read the novels.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I can understand that, Joan, and have agreed with Kate's point. It also helps if you're very keen on romantic suspense. I loved Airs Above the Ground and Nine Coaches Waiting, although I enjoyed them all. Avoid the Crystal Cave series unless you like stories about Merlin - they're quite different!

I feel exactly the same, Karen! I was delighted to find that little hardback and enjoyed it up to a point but haven't tried any of the others yet since my teens. Had to get rid of my battered copies so now looking for more!

Helena Fairfax said...

I love Mary Stewart's books, Rosemary, and I read and re-read them as a teenager. I haven't read this novella, but I'm now really looking forward to reading it!

Teresa Ashby said...

What a lovely find, Rosemary! I don't remember reading her books, but the name rings a bell so perhaps I did. It was certainly the sort of book I read during my early teens. The cover is lovely!

Helen Pollard said...

Gosh, yes, I loved Mary Stewart - and I still read them from time to time. If you accept the date they were written and the outdated dialogue, they are still wonderfully descriptive and thrilling!

Julia Thorley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Thorley said...

I've never read Mary Stewart. The question of authors changing and maturing over the years is interesting. I love Joanne Harris, for instance, but her early schlock-horror novels are awful!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Glad you enjoyed them too, Helena!

I was so delighted to find such a lovely, unexpected copy of this, Teresa!

That's good you still enjoy them, Helen - must try one of my old favourites!

That is interesting, Julia - I think we as readers change so much over the years too!

Rae Cowie said...

What a wonderful find, Rosemary. I haven't read Mary Stewart, although I remember when I was at school her books were always prominent on the tiny shelf of books for sale in our local newsagents. I just couldn't afford them!

Carolb said...

The covers of these old books are always a delight Rosemary.

I've never read any of her books, but despite their age they can still be enjoyed, as well as reminding up what made up want to read the next book.

Wendy's Writing said...

I’ve never read Mary Stewart either. This must be remedied!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I think they were particularly popular among teenagers, Rae!

This one has brought back a lot of memories, Carol!

Hope you don't find them too dated, Wendy!