Tuesday 17 March 2015

All Things Celtic

Since I have a lot of Irish ancestry on my mother's side, I'm happy to pay homage to St Patrick's Day. One of my earliest vague memories is a journey on a big ship to Ireland when I was very young - but I can't remember anything about actually being in the small village where my granny's family came from, apart from an old photo of me sitting playing on a beach!


Husband and I did visit several places in Ireland more recently and one of my favourite was Cobh, last stop of the ill-fated Titanic. It has such a pretty harbour and the magnificent 19th century Gothic St Colman's Cathedral which sits on the hill overseeing the fishing port. Cobh has a very interesting history which is highlighted in the harbour-side museum.

One of my publishers, Tirgearr, has been invited to showcase all their Irish-set books on the Celtic Rose Blog today, then tomorrow the Scottish-set books will be featured which includes Midwinter Masquerade. I believe our books are getting an hour each to be in the spotlight and mine is around 11am tomorrow - although I imagine they'll all remain on the blog for the day. If you like novels with a Celtic flavour, you might find some to tempt you.

Rosemary

6 comments:

Maria said...

Happy St Patrick's day to you! :-)

Patsy said...

We visited Cobh a few years ago. Interestig place.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Maria!

It is indeed, Patsy!

Julia Thorley said...

I've only been to Ireland once, for a long weekend. I'd love to go back again and take my time exploring it properly.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I've got a lot of Irish blood in me, too. My grandmother was born in Cobh and the family were from Kinsale. I've never been and really need to rectify that fact. x

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I'd like to go back too, Julia, as I didn't see enough.

How wonderful that your grandmother was born in Cobh, Debs!