Sunday 28 April 2019

Filling the Creative Well

It seems weeks since I've settled down to proper work, partly because the Easter break stretched even longer this year. However, it gave me a chance to get out and about exploring, seeing new places and filling that creative well of ideas and inspiration.

As well as having time with the husband, we had three days with granddaughter which was great fun. Younger children certainly do keep the oldies young. It was a great excuse to revisit the steam train (my favourite form of transport), have a paddle in the cold Firth of Forth and become a child again at a brilliant local outdoor heritage site.


In between, we visited the impressive calendar House in Falkirk, where I was fascinated by the Georgian kitchen with its fantastic cooking range, It evidently was the first place to use gas in the kitchen, in the early 1800s. The 'smoke-jack' (fan) turned the cogs to operate the spit! Otherwise, only candlelight was used throughout the house.


I was delighted to see the 150 year-old ice chest which used to be kept in the cellar. The 200 year-old ice house, which was apart from the house, kept ice from the loch frozen for up to eighteen months. The lady telling us about the kitchen was dressed in period costume adding to the fun and she had prepared a basket of coloured eggs since it was around Easter.


These were dyed as follows:

Yellow: from the gorse growing wild
Brown: from onion skin
Red/pink: from beetroot
Green: from spinach

There was even an original Georgian recipe for Simnel cake on display and tiny bits of the cake to try - baked recently, of course! It was slightly different from modern recipes but just as delicious with its taste of almond.

Yesterday, we unexpectedly happened upon a vintage car display at Linlithgow where we'd gone for coffee and a walk by the loch. I love vintage cars and was over the moon when the owner of my favourite 1928 Austin suggested I sit in the driver's seat. I needed no second bidding and it was as gorgeous inside as out. Pity I couldn't have had a wee drive. My second favourite was the open-topped white MG, although I didn't get to sit in that one.

 

All in all, I've come back from the Easter break inspired to get on with various types of writing again, as well as trying to finish the full length novel so I can go back through and make sense of it. My creative well seems to have filled up with lots of ideas, so I guess we all need that break now and then.

Rosemary

7 comments:

Carolb said...

I think I would be out every weekend, if I had all the inspiring locations to visit that you have Rosemary. Thanks for sharing the pictures.x

Teresa Ashby said...

What an interesting place, Rosemary. And it sounds as if you've been having fun with your granddaughter. I think the little ones love the adventure of a steam train as much as we do! Lovely pictures xx

Julia Thorley said...

At the weekend of Latvian culture I was involved with recently, one of the activities was decorating eggs dyed just as you've described. I don't have the patience for such things, but the results of others were very impressive.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

We do love getting about, Carol!

Thanks, Teresa - they do keep us young, don't they!

That's interesting they still dye them that way, Julia - think it would be fun!

Jessica said...

testimony of my life

Good day everyone,my name is Jessica from USA i am here to testify about how i got a real and working blank ATM card from a good hacker on the internet, i was very poor before and i have been unemployed since 2015, i came across a post on the internet concerning the blank ATM card and i decided to give it a try,i agreed to the terms and conditions to receive the card.
it worked like magic when i received this card and i was able to withdraw 5000$ daily with this card, i have a car of my own now and i have gotten a house too.
if you need a real blank ATM card, contact this good hacker on his email mrfrankblankatmcard@gmail.com
i post this here because i know you can also be favoured by this testimony.
thanks

willian vivian said...

Haven't you heard about cyber hacking company blank ATM card and how other people had benefited from it? I am Williams vivian by name, i want to share a blog and forums on how to get real blank ATM card,thank to cyber hacking company who helped me with an already hacked ATM CARD and i was so poor without funds that i got frustrated. One morning as i was browsing on the internet, i saw different comments of people testifying of how cyber hacking company helped him from being poor to a rich man through this already hacked ATM CARD. I was skeptical if this was true, i decided to contact him to know if he is real he proved to me beyond all doubts that its was really for real so i urgently receive my blank ATM card. Contact his email cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com and today am also testifying on how cyber hacking company helped me. I never believed in it until the card was sent to me, which am using today Contact the company now and become rich. Email: cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com  ....

WENDY CUTRONA said...

Are you in a financial crisis, looking for money to start your own business or to pay your bills?
GET YOUR BLANK ATM CREDIT CARD AT AFFORDABLE PRICE*
We sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers
worldwide,Tho card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5000 and up to $50,000
spending limit in stores and unlimited on POS.

YOU CAN ALSO MAKE BINARY INVESTMENTS WITH LITTLE AS $500 AND GET $10,000 JUST IN SEVEN DAYS

**WHAT WE OFFER**

*1)WESTERN UNION TRANSFERS/MONEY GRAM TRANSFER*
*2)BANKS LOGINS*
*3)BANKS TRANSFERS*
*4)CRYPTO CURRENCY MINNING*
*5)BUYING OF GIFT CARDS*
*6)LOADING OF ACCOUNTS*
*7)WALMART TRANSFERS*
*8)BITCOIN INVESTMENTS*
*9)REMOVING OF NAME FROM DEBIT RECORD AND CRIMINAL RECORD*
*10)BANK HACKING*
**email blankatmmasterusa@gmail.com
**you can also call or whatsapp us Contact us today for more enlightenment *
*+1(539) 888-2243*
**BEWARE OF SCAMMERS AND FAKE HACKERS IMPERSONATING US BUT THEY ARE NOT
FROM *
*US CONTACT US ONLY VIA THIS CONTACT **
*WE ARE REAL AND LEGIT...........2021 FUNDS/FORGET ABOUT GETTING A LOAN..*

IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND TRUSTED
🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌👍👍👍👍👍🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏