Monday 16 September 2013

So You Think You Can Write

No, I'm not asking that question of my lovely readers - I wouldn't dare! So You Think You Can Write is Harlequin's competition to find new writers for their various romance lines. As one of the biggest traditional publishing houses, Harlequin offers this great opportunity for romantic novelists to submit the First Chapter (up to 5000 words) of a novel plus a 100-word pitch to the series you're aiming at.

This first part of the competition runs submitted between 23rd September and 9th October. The top fifty First Chapters will be chosen by mid-October and the authors will be asked to submit the full manuscript - ten finalists will survive to the next stage.

Although this is an excellent chance to be noticed, you have to be prepared for your first chapter to be posted for all to comment upon it, readers and editors. The full details are on the Harlequin SYTYCW website. I noticed they're also running a competition on Wattpad to find a winning writer for their New Adult series. Good luck to anyone who enters either.

Over on my Flights of Imagination blog, I'm featuring British author Pam Kelt who tells us the inspiration behind her intriguing YA fantasy, Ice Trekker.

And now I must make sure I've finished preparing my talk for a writers group across the other side of river from me this evening. Looking forward to it as it's always good to share information and chat to other writers.

Have a productive writing week!
Rosemary

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Many thanks for the information, Rosemary, and good luck with your talk tonight. That must be enjoyable for you as well as very helpful for the writers' group. x

Deborah Carr said...

It sounds like a great competition to take part in.

Good luck with your talk, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful evening.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Thanks, Joanna - the talk seemed to go well and I really enjoyed the evening!

I'm sure you don't need the comp now, Debs! Thanks - it was a lovely evening.