Tuesday 11 June 2019

Half Way Through the Writing Year

Since we're heading towards the Summer Solstice, the longest day, we must be almost half way through the year. It certainly doesn't feel like summer, though I don't mind not having too much sun since I'm more of an autumn/winter person. I seem to be more creative in the darker months so I thought I'd have a look at what I've achieved so far this year.

I've probably posted this Recipe for Success photo before, from one of our favourite little coffee shops but I always find it inspirational!



Much-needed Encouragement to Persevere
  • Adjudicator of the Pitlochry Award for a Romance novel at the Scottish Association of Writers Conference in March
  • Ran a workshop at same event
  • One article accepted by The Highlander Magazine (USA)
  • Two other articles submitted to different journals (awaiting decision)
  • Several poems submitted to various places (not heard anything yet)
  • Four short stories submitted to magazines or competitions (not heard yet)
  • A couple of letters sent to magazines
  • Two children's short stories being accepted for an autumn/winter journal
  • Two novels to finish (at least)
  • Attending the Romantic Novelists' Association Conference in July - having agent one-to-ones
It's been quite useful writing this down as I always think I'm not achieving enough! I've also enjoyed returning to freelance writing and searching for markets and opportunities. Although I enjoy being a novelist, my first love is shorter pieces, whether stories, articles or poems.

I've discovered how much I need the variety as it helps me to stay focused on creativity. Strangely enough, all this other type of writing doesn't distract me from the novel but seems to flex the creative muscle to keep me going.

Anyone else find it helps to dabble in different forms of writing or creativity?

Rosemary

5 comments:

Patsy said...

Yes! I do think writing a mix of things is helpful to me. It doesn't just make me more creative, but more productive too – as if I feel stuck on one project I can work on something else.

Julia Thorley said...

It's a really good idea to remind yourself of what you've achieved - you've certainly done a lot, and it's only June. I'm a dabbler, too, and always have several projects on the go at once.

Maria said...

Well done on all your achievements so far this year, and variety is great for motivation!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

That's exactly it, Patsy!

Thanks, Julia - maybe we all need the variety!

Thanks, Maria - yes, it certainly helps!

FanStory said...

Thank you for share your article may be useful..!Writing Sites